Thursday, June 13, 2013
I decided to make a taggie for Penelope as she is obsessed with labels at the moment. She spends ages fiddling with them and sucking them.
Luckily I have a huge ribbon collection. I always save it off presents and buy it when I see it going cheap. My big love is neon ribbon which Paperchase often sell. Of course my first attempt shown above meant I sewed all the labels on the inside. I had to pick the whole thing apart and start again.
But I was pretty pleased with the end result. It's 7" which is just the right size!
Som details, including a few nametapes
Saturday, June 08, 2013
I decided to make a sewing machine cover at long last. I really had no idea how to make one. I seem to draw a blank when I think of anything which isn't a flat object. Suddenly it seemed to involve dressmaking techniques which is not really my thing. But I thought I would just start at the beginning and give it a go. I knew I wanted to try my hand at piping as I have been thinking about making some cushions so I thought this could be a test. I bought this bundle of fat quarters with this project in mind so I just had to buy some bias binding for the piping cord.
My problem was that I always keep the table extension connected these days so the cover couldn't go all the way to the bottom of the machine. I debated making something with flaps and big covers to go over the plastic but it all started to get too complicated in my head.
The piping cord was the biggest challenge. I did it really badly. I need to read up exactly how to do it. You can't notice it at a distance but up close you can see that it's not as tight to the edge as it should be.
I also made quite a few mistakes sewing the cord, until I realised there is a special foot for it! D'oh! Once I started using that it was a hole heap easier. I enjoyed learning something new though and I find I have an affection for these experimental learning projects. I totally missed out the quilting bit though so the whole thing is a bit baggy. It does the job though.