Sunday, June 14, 2009

Getting Ahead of Myself



So I finally turned the page in the book and realised I'd just got too cocky and ploughed onwards sewing my hexagons together. It was only when I was explaining English patchwork to Claire that I realised I couldn't possibly machine sew my hexagons together. D'oh. So I spent every evening this week unpicking them in front of the TV and vowing to plan ahead from now on.

You have to sew the half hexagons together in diagonal strips first which I think could go horribly wrong so I have been super-anal and drawn out the whole thing beforehand. The white gaps represent the divisions between the strips. Now I just need to sort my piles out and refer to my picture.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

oh Dear, I feel really sorry for you. I hate it when you get so far through something then find out you've done something wrong and have to upick it all.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the commiserations. I was mortified. I wanted to give up. Then I simply range someone who told me an even worse story of unpicking and decided to just start at the beginning and do one hexagon a day without thinking about how many I had to do. There's nothing worse than going backwards, but now I can polish my halo, knowing I did it.

ray said...

you could send that image to spoonflower and have some material printed up of that pattern.
Good luck with your unpicking....

Claire Vincent said...

Have you really created all those patterns in illustrator?
I've been trying to work out how you've done it, I hoped that you may have scanned them in but they look too bright.

I'm anal too and draw all of my quilts up, but not to that level.

Anonymous said...

Busted. Yes, I did it all in illustrator. I started out thinking I would just do solid colours, then I would get round to unpicking everything. Then I looked at my pile of unpicked blocks and decided to add the spots. Then the simple patterns, then the intricate ones, all in a bizarre, time consuming manner so I could put off the unpicking as long as possible. I am a freak