Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Single Girl Progress

So I have finished making my blocks to go with the single girl blocks. They were great fun to make. I really want to carry on making them. It's such a great idea to combine them with the tiny blocks. I might try making up my own version after this one. I am quite excited about it. I did a bit of a test with myself by making one leaf block just like I saw this great Amanda's and one a bit more freestyle. Needless to say, I think I prefer Amanda's, I'm not sure why though.

 MapleO

I really like the Penants Waving in Ivory fabric on the bottom left by Rashida Coleman-Hale for Cloud 9. I am itching to buy some more as I will have used my entire fat quarter by the end of this project. I also feel the same about the Lizzy House bracelets, but my problem is that I hoard fabric then I fall out of love with it. I have been so good at using my stash that now I agonise over buying new stuff. The small brown sprig fabric has lasted me such a long time. It is one of the first fabrics I bought with mum when I first got into quilting. I am a bit worried that the fabrics don't match as I have used browns and purples, but I wanted the quilt to be vibrant and not too 'me' if that makes sense.

MapleO

I made a few mistakes with my half square triangles so I had to add some bits, but I am really happy with the text fabric I bought. I agonised over it as I am not a text of fabric person. In the end mum gave me some scraps she had and I bought two fat quarters. One of dictionary pages which I wasn't 100% about and one of script samples all laid over each other. I wasn't totally into that either so I have done some pretty wasteful fussy cutting, but I am glad with the results. The bottom left square uses a really nice bit.

MapleO
Mum's scraps were easy to use as they were free! You can see them in the strip above the pink leaf.

Unfortunately, true to style, I mucked up my measurements and my maple leaf blocks are bigger than my single girl ones so I will have to add borders to those before I do the sashing. It might all look like a train wreck, oh dear. Oh well, I think it will add to its charm. I might put it off a bit and just play around with more thangles. It's great for really using those tiny scraps.

MapleO

No comments: