Monday, March 14, 2016
FW51: Lily & FW52: Lola
Gosh what a lot of hard work this week was. So much so that I put it off for a while. I have now lost my little headstart I had built up for myself since half term and now I realise that Easter is coming up and I will again be out of action for two weeks.
Block 51 Lily
Lily marks a beginning and end. It's the end of the green sprig fabric and the beginning of the Paperie low volume fabric. I love it, it's perfect. I might have to go and buy a bigger stash of it for future use. I did consider replacing the green, but I really need to use up the rest of the fabric I have hoiked out, plus it has already featured on a fair number of blocks.
Once I started on it I realised that once the units were made, it actually all nested together pretty easily but there were just so many bits! I spread it out over the week, just doing small bits at one time so I didn't become overwhelmed. It looks great though in the end. The only bit I ballsed up was adding the big triangle. I didn't use the paper as my bit of fabric needed to be stretched a bit to fit. Of course stretching it just made all of it warp. I should really unpick it but I think once it's quilted you won't notice the wonk.
Here is the very last join where it wonked. Not the biggest glitch in the world but the rest is perfect, so it's a bit annoying. But I look at this block and think how far I have come. I would have been a bit awed by this block at the beginning. This is a good learning curve project.
Block 52 Lola
A nice easy block. I actually did it first. I like that it is light and airy, but I am not sure I am wedded to so much of the dotty fabric. This might be one of the blocks that gets the chop on the border!
My seams are pretty neat though which makes me quite happy.
I am pleased how my injection of yellow is coming along. I might tone it down a bit now as it's only meant to be a highlight colour. I might lay out all my blocks so far and have a think about how it is all coming together as a whole.