Wednesday, June 22, 2016

FW79: Patience & FW80: Patricia

20160623-P1440957
This week I have sped into the future. I am on a roll what can I say! I decided to yet again only do one block as I felt that Patience was a little easy. Then I felt bad and decided to give it go. It seemed a good chance to use up the last of my cat fabric. It's been hacked to bits with all this fussy cutting but there were still a few gems left. I have also started to think about the finish line. Not long now. In fact I laid out the quilt and realised that I really have enough blocks already! More on that in another post. The other great thing this week is that I finally bought a new computer so I have a beautiful shiny new screen to look at. I was using an old lapt before that where the screen flickers and is dark. I had noticed it was impossible to see if some of my shots were dark and murky. So they should look a bit brighter from now on. Back to the blocks.

Patience Block
20160623-P1440961
I am really glad I did this block in the end. It was lovely and simple to put together. You almost didn't need to foundation piece it. I have used this fabric combination a few times now but I am running low on both so it was nice to squeeze another block out of them.

20160623-P1440963
On reflection I think this will look good next to one of the more complicated blocks.

20160623-P1440964
I love the centre unit where the cat is looking behind at the kitten. It is like she has been sawn in half by a magician.

Patricia Block
20160619-P1440863.jpg
Well, this is a first. Only once before did I get my colours mixed when marking my papers, but noticed as soon as I started sewing. This time I really had no idea until I had made the complete block, but there you have it, my classic Churn Dash block has become something else after I mixed up my corner triangle colours. I am a bit sad, but I quite like the different pattern it has created.

20160619-P1440864.jpg
I am really pleased with the use of yellow here. It is only supposed to be a highlight colour so only used in small bits but seeing as I have broken every other rule in the book I don't see why this one should be any exception. I really like this low volume fabric. I like all the different elements within it. I really want to make my own on Spoonflower as I have lots of old examples in books down the cellar. But, well, they are down in the cellar where the mice live...

20160619-P1440867.jpg
Even the back turned out pretty neatly! It was a very easy block to make, even though I ballsed it up, so one to add to the 'make again' list.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I've enjoyed following progress on this. Can't wait to see what it looks like all together.