Friday, July 15, 2016
FW89: Ruby & FW90: Sara
This week was pretty easy. Only one block to do which came together without any problems. This is good as it allows me time to prepare myself for the bit after all the blocks are complete. I have my setting fabric all ready to iron and cut into strips so I am fitting this in on the quieter weeks.
Block 89 Ruby
I decided to drop this block, mainly because it was all odd angles which is never my favourite thing. As I get nearer to the end I am aware of exactly how many blocks I need for my final layout so it's become easier to drop blocks.
Block 90 Sara
I wasn't that bothered about making this block. It's okay, but it didn't wow me. I am trying to use up some of the fabrics I have put aside more often than not. The pink floral is a little dull next to my brighter palette additions and never seemed quite right. Suddenly it seemed muddy. But I thought I would use it up as when I laid out all the blocks, the initial, more dull blocks seem to blend quite nicely with the brighter ones.
Well this block is a real success. I love it. I don't know why. I just think it works and I love looking at it. It made me remember how much I love the floral fabric. I have hoarded it for years after buying it in a pack of fat eights from Sunflower Fabrics.
I also did a lot of pinning as I wanted it all to line up. All the seams seemed to nest nicely so it came together easily. I really want to be able to compare some of the later blocks with some of the very early ones and be able to see some kind of progression. Well this all lines up beautifully.
And even the back is nice and neat for a change. I starched it front and back once I had finished sewing it and it all lies nice and flat. A triumph.