Monday, March 07, 2011
I have so nearly finished this quilt. It's the first quilt I glued instead of basting. I did this as it was just getting so dirty on the floor and it was too big so the stairs kept getting in the way.
I think I might have to try basting my next quilt on a table. I am going to have to wash it, it is so dirty, but part of me is quite excited to see how this turns out. Although I washed all the fabric, I don't wash wadding and this quilt is made of lots of offcuts sewn together so it could well go all wrong, but I don't think I would mind that either. The backing is an old sheet and the whole thing is really soft. I kind of want it to go old and knackered and be something I can just bung in the wash without being too precious over it. With this in mind I machine quilted it quite heavily. The only problem with that is tying off all the ends. I Still haven't finished them so I still haven't washed it. I am going to try and make it my mission to do so.
I decided to make thick borders for this quilt so that they were soft and floppy, but I did them in continuous binding and I got the measurements wrong as the binding so so much thicker. So I had to make these funny corners. I actually quite like them, they seem to add to the softness, but they are a mistake. One I won't make again.
I started this quilt when I was in my last house as a moving in gift to myself for this house. That was over FIVE years ago. Shows how behind I have been. This is my simple boy friendly quilt based on one I saw by Conran in Libertys that was so expensive it was ridiculous. I wish I had taken a photo of it.