Saturday, January 04, 2014

I had a dream

Sewing kit

Bizarrely, I dreamt I made a needle case. Not the most thrilling thing to dream, but weird to create something so random in your head without meaning to. It was so vivid that when I woke up I decided to actually make it. The dream has faded a bit now but I think this is pretty much it. I decided to do it all by hand as I wanted to be able to do it in front of the TV. No rulers either. It's given it the rustic feel I often feel is missing from things I make. I am very happy with it. All made from scraps so no cost involved.

Sewing kit

Above is the front. Or the back I suppose. I need to remove the white pen I used to mark the lines. I also now know that I have no idea how to do a French knot.

Sewing kit

Here's the back, with a bit of extra stitching where the whole thing started to come apart! Bad sewing on my part there.

The whole thingis basically just random log cabin which I am really into at the moment, but all in the same colour except for a few bits. That was the dream. It came out really well. I thought you might not really see it and it would be a waste of time, but I like it. I did some very basic embroidery on the front, which makes me wish I knew more about it. I have some of mum's old embroidery books in a box, one of them is full of Danish designs from the seventies, but, well, they are in a box somewhere so I just make some stuff up. It makes it look a bit like a child made it, but I quite like that.

Sewing kit

I decided to make it into a Christmas present for Rachel. We have been talking about knitting socks so I bought some knitting notions: Some big safety pins for cabling on the go. Some big stitch markers in the shape of tear drops Some small stitch markers in the shape of hearts Some hingeless safety pins. Some needles in various sizes. I was going to sew some measuring tape ribbon we bought into it so you could measure your gauge on the go. We bought some together I think years a go, but the ribbon is all packed away in boxes somewhere. Sigh. Another time.

I'd really like to make one for myself now

No comments: