Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Donut Quilt!

20150830-P1420518.jpg
For a long time I have been thinking about making one of these. I just think they look enjoyably easy and I have seen some lovely results on Pinterest. So I decided to get it all together even though my sewing time has all but dried up and I have the huge medallion quilt to start. But you know, you need at least three projects on the go at any one time so you can abandon them in favour of the other at any given time.

So I ordered the pattern all the way from Canada. It's annoying that there is no PDF download anywhere but that's life I guess. It is nice to have a real printed pattern especially as I no longer have access to a printer or scanner. I decided this would be my birthday present to myself.

I think what got me going this time was the Atelier Brunette Remember Me fabric that I bought for the medallion quilt. It was so soft and lovely. I just wanted a project where I could use a big chunk of it. The Donut Quilt came straight to mind so I quickly ordered 2 metres from M is for Make before I could change my mind. It's cotton cambric fabric (similar to voile) so it's quite fine and soft. I shall have to prewash for once I think as it stands to just be very different from the donut fabrics.

20150830-P1420521.jpg
It's been nice to think about what fabrics to use for the donuts. I thought about peaches and perhaps a green.

20150830-P1420522.jpg
Then I thought about bright pinks and turquoises. But upon reflection I think that it might be more a combination of hot pink and the peachy colours so all of the above without the greens and turquoises.

20150901-P1420532.jpg
I am quite excited about the easiness of it. Cutting all the fabric was really easy and there seems to be little waste which is perfect for a scrooge like me. I managed to get it all cut out in a morning whilst Penelope played.

20150901-P1420535.jpg
Today I started sewing the donuts together which was also pretty quick work. Every fabric in this quilt is treasured so I am pretty confident that it's going to be lovely. I didn't prewash in the end so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

No comments: