Monday, September 07, 2015

Medallion Quilt

So I have been thinking the fabric to use for about my Medallion quilt from Liberty Love: 25 Projects to Quilt and Sew Featuring Liberty of London Fabrics. There is quite a lot so I ended up drawing out a diagram of the quilt and annotating what fabric I needed where. How organised! I often find the nicest part of the project is sifting through my stash and working it all out. I had some sick time on the sofa with Penelope so it was a nice slow thing to do in order to pass the time whilst the patient used me as a foot pillow. And now at least I have worked out exactly what I have and what I need.

I realised pretty quickly however, that I didn't have enough variety. I guess you are supposed to use scraps, but most of my scraps are either too small or the wrong colour. I wanted the whole thing to be pinks and purples and to match the other colours in the prints I had already chosen. I feared that is it was all too different that it would just look like a train crash. Plus the main borders use 1/2 yards of fabric and I really only ever buy fat quarters these days. So I ordered these from M is for Make.

You can just see Carolyn Friedlander's Plank in white for the low volume. I actually use low volumes a lot so I also realised that my stash of scraps might not be quite enough. Then we have Remember Me by Atelier Brunette which could be a border. The middle fabric is another border: Optical Origami Moon. I really like it. It's quite dark for me but I think it will work. Then the far bottom right is Triangle Tokens voile which is lovely and soft and might be a thin border. The two starry fabrics are Morn's Rays Silver and Ecru and will be small pieces to make up all the greys I need.

I thought that would be enough but in the end I bought quite a few bits for it from Birmingham. It was quite nice to know I needed some specific fabric but not very much of it so it wasn't going to break the bank. I just needed three fat quarters really:

A low volume
A grey
A bluey green

So off I went in search...

I ended up a big faves; Alison Glass' Sunprint – I've never seen this white on white version before but it's perfect.

Just one more grey to shake things up a bit. This is new from Cotton and Steel and it's lovely. I bought it from The Village Haberdashery.

Then all I needed was a bluey green to go with it all. That was more difficult as it is not a colour I use much and I couldn't really work it out amongst all the bad lighting. It needed to be just right. In the end I bought a few as I just couldn't make my mind up. I am sure they will get used in other projects.


We have the three bluey greens on the left. I think the middle one is the most daring. I think the top one is too green. The middle purples were extras. I just love the Monaluna Haiku range and was really looking forwards to seeing it in person so check it out. The stripes in the middle are a basic I was replacing. The grey stripes on the top right are also a stash basic which I love and probably won't need for this project, but the clouds go perfectly so they'll be in it and the mini peal bracelets are just another option on yellow which I already have. Good to have a backup.

That's it. I have more than I need and won't run out so I can get going choosing elements for the first central block.

I have decided to foundation piece is just because I hate sewing on the diagonal. I have not had great luck with it – all too stretchy. So I found this great tutorial from Penny Poppleton for creating a foundation block from the templates. Lor! opening up those huge sheets of delicate pattern paper with the two year old in the house was no joke. It was armageddon. At one point she was running round the house with a whole sheet wrapped round her.

But they are all done and ready to go. I have done them all on tracing paper and drawn each one purely because I have no access to a printer at the moment and it was easy enough to do on the sofa. So we'll see how I get on. Now I just need to choose my first fabrics.

No comments: