Sunday, September 20, 2015

Farmer's Wife1930's Quilt-a-long

So I have caved in. After flipping through the first Farmer's Wife book that mum gave me, I realised that owning the second book which the quilt a long is doing over at Very Kerry Berry's blog, would be no bad thing. I think the weekly Periscope video swayed me! I might fail. It's a big commitment, but I'll give it a go. So with the birthday money that my inlaws kindly gave me I ordered the new book. The only annoying part is the waiting!

The quilt a long started this Monday and I am itching to start the first block. I'm not going to make the full quilt though. It's just too big. Instead I thought I would make every other block, picking out my favourites.



As for fabric. My first thought was to just use my stash. Lord knows I need to. But it wasn't exciting enough. So i bought some fat quarters to spice it up a bit. 

Kerry who is organising it posted up some links to 1930's fabric. Of course I had already decided not to use repro fabrics what with doing the Jitterbug quilt so recently. So of course I went and bought these repro fabrics immediately from Sew and Quilt. I'd not seen this site before so it's great to have another UK source of fabric. Gracie's Schoolhouse Classic range is perfect. I only bought two with matching plains because really I should be using my stash.  



Then I got even more excited about making it a bit more modern and bought these three "Cats Ballet Floral fabrics" from Stephanie at Elephant in my Handbag. I love Heather Ross.





So now my fabric selection is a complete train crash. I have lost the plot. The only thing I do know is:
  • Each block will have one plain in it always. 
  • Colours should not be too safe. I would like to intermix pink and peach and try and create combinations which shouldn't really work but do. 
  • Each block should use a scrap/stash fabric. 
  • Each block should have some element of colour contrast if possible. 
  • My backgrounds will all be greys, different ones as I am trying to use up scraps where possible. 





So my first block will use some grey offcuts from the donut quilt. A purple plain which sort of does not go and my new fat quarter in the centre. If it turns out gross then I might just make another. All I need is the book before I get too far behind!

Sorry if my pictures are a little rough and there are no links in my post but since embarking on my freelance career, my laptop now lives at work and so I haven't had evenings to edit photos and create blog posts. This is the best I can do until I settle into my new work groove.

No comments: