Monday, August 24, 2009

Things I Saw at the Show

The one thing you take away from a show, is how much you have to learn. There is something too intense about many of the quilts on show. They might not all be to your taste, but the sheer level of skill shown in them makes you realise what small fry you really are. Here are a few things that caught my eye



This was a miniature quilt that was so intricate. It was smaller than an A4 piece of paper yet so detailed.




This quilt was kingsize and was all hand sewn. It was amazing. I have a bag of scraps which will one day make part of an english quilt like this one. I think you need plenty of time for this sort of project.




This is a Petra Prins quilt that I bought the pattern for. I think it appeals to every Waltons/Little House on the Prairie instinct I have. I think the hand quilting is beautiful and I am quite excited about making the puffs! It might have to sit in the back burner for a while.




This quilt was massive and so intricate.




I think this is representative of a lot of the quilts that seem just too much. Too perfect. Too much detail. So perfect. Almost as if they aren't handmade. I can't imagine how much skill and time it takes to be this good! But I like to think of myself as more rustic, yes definitely. I like to embrace my inner makeshift-cobble-it-together nature.

No comments: