Monday, February 06, 2006

The Oldest UFO


I mostly make quilts. My mum got me started. Her retirement has erupted into one huge patchwork orgy. she's obsessed. When she gets a sniff of a fat quarter she starts walking more briskly and can stand browsing for hours without tiredness. This passion is ultimately infectious so I gave it a go. I'm made quite a few now, all given away with no pictures to show for them, but here is my pile of UFO's which are all waiting for me to stop doing new things and finish them off.

The biggest casualty is my first ever quilt, still unfinished. This must be at least 5 years old. It's a great quilt because it has been done over such time, you can look at one quarter and see hundreds of mistakes, which all vanish by the time you get to the most recent quarter. It's a learning curver quilt. It's riddled with things I didn't think through, didn't get right, or didn't spend enough time over, maybe that's why I like it so much. It's having a big rest primarily due to the fact I can't find the right material for the backing. I went to my third quilt show this year looking for the just the right pink, just the right flower pattern. Nope. This quilt is destined to be one sided.

No comments: